Sunday 20 March 2011

I-pod informs I-dentity...

 Or so Steven Levy argues when he defines playlist as character (2006).  Like a well-worn pair of jeans or a flashy new ferrari, the songs we listen to are a reflection of who we are, or at the very least, who we aspire to be.  Levy believes our music libraries distinguish our character traits, defining us as intellectual, fun- loving, high brow or otherwise.  However, while we could previously confine our  low-brow love of Hanson's greatest hits CD to the bottom of our sock draws, the portable nature of the I-pod means our guilty listening pleasures are often on public display.

As Trace Crutchfield explores in Ipod Wars, this portability means our playlist has now become a socially recognised status symbol.  Even politicians are cashing in on this, releasing their playlists in an attempt to connect with the younger generation. This is what  Levy terms the new-age of "cultural spin-doctoring". Personally, however, I don't believe the I-pod's influence extends into the political domain. Put simply, I would never change my voting preference based on a mutual love of My Sharona. [See Bush's playlist]  Would any Gen-Y I wonder, or is this just another case of Gen-Old underestimating our intelligence?

Perhaps the greatest example close to home is PM Gillard's Ipod gift to Obama, stocked with a selection of Australia's greatest hits.  I'm not sure how I feel about Kylie Minogue representing our national identity...

Image from Gizmodo

Crutchfield, T .2005. Ipod Wars. Available online via http://www.brooklynrail.org/2005/04/streets/ipod-wars . Accessed March 18, 2011.

Levy, S. 2006. The perfect thing: how the iPod shuffles commerce, culture and coolness. Simon & Schuster: New York. pp. 21-41.

No comments:

Post a Comment